Scotland differs from the rest of the UK in terms of the scale, determinants and impacts of migration, and migration and migration policy were key elements in the debates about Scottish independence.
In the lead up to the Scottish referendum on independence, the Migration Observatory provided analysis and data on migration and migrants in Scotland in order to inform the debate.
- Long-Term International Migration Flows to and from Scotland
- Scotland: Census Profile
- Global International Migrant Stock: Scotland in International Comparison
- Geographical Distribution and Characteristics of International Migration Flows to Scotland
- Geographical Distribution and Characteristics of International Emigration from Scotland
- Migrants in Scotland: An Overview
- Migrants in the Scottish Labour Market
- Citizenship, Borders and Migration in an Independent Scotland
- Sub-National Immigration Policy: Can it Work in the UK?
- Migration and citizenship in an independent Scotland
- Who counts as a migrant in Scotland?
- The relative and the real: A decade of migration in Scotland
- Bordering on confusion: International migration and implications for Scottish independence
- The Scottish diaspora and Scottish independence